top of page
smallblue.png

SUN022

Wear

Sunderland

South Dock, South Shipyard

Sunderland

54.907185, -1.356734

Useful Links:

Opened:

1851

Closed:

1978

Owners:

John Haswell, Sunderland Shipbuilding Co

Types built here:

Barque, Screw Steamer

Customers (Not Exhaustive):

Diamond Steam Navigation Co

Estimated Output:

15

Construction Materials:

Wood, Iron

Status:

Redeveloped

Last Updated:

01/01/25

Description

A yard had existed since the 1850s on this site, and potentially as old as 1850 specifically as this is when the South Dock was constructed. The first decade of workings here have not been explored at this stage, so please bare in mind this entry is a work in progress.

We see the yard on the 1850s map linked to the South Dock tramway network. There was a smithy and engine houses, with ships presumably built on a berth.

From 1861 John Haswell constructed wooden and later iron vessels at this yard. John was part of the famous Haswell dynasty, who were well known shipbuilders on the river. John was the father of George Haswell and son of Alderman Haswell who built vessels at Hylton and Ayres Quay (where John had picked up the trade). George worked alongside his father at this yard, then joined Bartram's next door and worked in partnership with them in 1871 after John retired. John was an incredibly educated man, later being the secretary of the Wear Shipbuilders Association succeeding his brother E H Haswell in 1882. He was trained in the legal profession and had a doctorate in Civil Law. He was president of the Sunderland Incorporated Law Society. He had interests in art, music and literally and was president of the Stanfield Art Society also.

He had constructed at least 15 vessels here. The first known vessel was the Oleander, a barque constructed in 1861 for Phil Patmore of Cricksea. Most ships were of a similar style, and had regular work from local merchants. Though first using wood as the primary material, he later built iron screw steamers for a short time before ceasing production in 1866.

From the 1870s the yard was operated by the Sunderland Shipbuilding Co., a partnership formed of Iliff and Mounsey and went on to form part of Bartram's. This entry will be updated in due course with information on their work.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Ordnance Survey, 1862

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logo0623.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page